Cost per serving $1.15 view details
- For soy-mustard sauce
- 1/4 c. Colman's mustard pwdr
- 2 Tbsp. warm water
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. soy sauce For beurre blanc
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped shallot
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt Freshly grnd white pepper to taste For blackening spice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp. cayenne pwdr
- 1/2 Tbsp. red chile pwdr
- 1/4 tsp freshly grnd white pepper For fish
- 1 x ahi tuna fillet, about 2 inches thick and 5 inches long (about 8 ounces) For garnish
- 2 x or possibly 3 Tbsp. red pickled ginger
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 ounce Japanese spice sprouts or possibly sunflower sprouts (top 2 inches only)
- 1 Tbsp. seeded and diced yellow bell pepper, optional
- 1 Tbsp. cucumber, cut into matchsticks, optional
- For soy-mustard sauce: Mix mustard pwdr and warm water together into a paste. Let sit for a few min to allow flavor to develop. Add in vinegar and soy sauce, mix together and strain through a fine sieve. Refrigeratein refrigerator.
- For beurre blanc: Combine wine, wine vinegar, lemon juice and shallot in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce liquid till syrupy.
- Add in cream and reduce by half. Turn heat to low and gradually add in butter, stirring slowly (don't whisk) till incorporated. Be careful not to let mix boil, or possibly it will break and separate. Season with salt and pepper, and strain through a fine sieve. Transfer to a double boiler and keep hot.
- For blackening spice: Mix all spices together on a plate, and dredge ahi on all sides. Heat a lightly oiled cast-iron skillet and sear ahi over high heat to desired doneness (about 15 seconds per side for rare, to 1 minute per side for medium-rare). Cut into 16 thin slices.
- To serve: For each serving, arrange 4 slices ahi in a pinwheel or possibly cross shape on the plate. Ladle a little soy-mustard sauce in two opposing quadrants between the tuna, and ladle beurre blanc in other two quadrants. To garnish, put a small mound of pickled ginger on beurre blanc on either side; sprinkle sesame seeds over soy-mustard sauce. Arrange spice sprouts, bell pepper and cucumber at the center of this pinwheel.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 115g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 233||83%|
|Total Fat 26.5g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 16.42g||66%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.63g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|