United States Chef
Nick Roche Profile
Together we can make it simple
Nick Roche, aka NonChefNick, was born in Paris, France and left at age 5 for the South of Spain before landing in Oregon, where he has spent most of his life. Nick is self taught in the culinary art with influences from his Mother and maternal Grandmother. At 21, after a one year stay in France, he fell in love with the art of cooking and began creating his own recipes, many out of trial and error. Along the way, he picked up ideas and techniques from those he admired and watch. His influences are French, Asian, and Spanish cuisine, but he prefers not to categorize his style as it tends to become a pretense to being boxed in.
Nick loves to try new ingredients that he discovers and adds them to his recipes. He loves to entertain and enjoys having close friends at dinner parties that tend to go way into the night. Nick is a bon vivant.
One of the goals Nick has is to get viewers and followers new to cooking to shed the intimidation factor of the kitchen. The most incredible room of your home should never been the most feared or hated. Anyone can become a star in the kitchen if you follow the rules of simplicity. Preparation, relaxation, and self confidence go a long way into creating a wonderful, eye appealing, and savory dinner for your guests. And if you follow those 3 rules, you will understand the concept of simplicity in the kitchen. It's not the number of ingredients but the comfort you have with them that create that simplicity. Never be afraid to fail because out of the ashes of failure you have planted new knowledge.
Besides cookeatshare.com, Nick's recipes can be found on his blog at nonchefnick.blogspot.com . His recipes have also been featured on various internet magazines and sites.
French, Asian, Mom
- The Complete Robuchon (Joel Robuchon)
- I purchased this book about a year ago. This is a book every home Chef should have.
Chefs I recommend
- Ina Garten (Hamptons, NY, NY)
- I love her and love her show.
- Chris Israel (Portland, OR)
- I know Chris through a friend of mine. Chris is one of the tops in the entire NW.
Restaurants I Recommend
- Blue Hour (Portland, OR)
- it's been open now for a while but it's still a cool place to be seen and the food is just as hot!
- My Place !! (Portland, OR)
- Reserve in advance... will prepare 5 star dinner, with 5 star city view. Private reservations only.