Easy, delicious yeast bread that requires no kneading.
Serve with comfort food dishes, or Italian food.
I like to toast it for breakfast and spread it with butter and jam, or flavored cream cheese.
Sometimes I bake the dough in 4 mini bread pans, so each person can have his/her own loaf.
- 1 package dry yeast, or 1 scant tablespoon
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- pinch sugar
- 2 tbs. butter, room temp
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano, or 2 tsp. fresh
- 1/8 tsp. dry thyme
- 1/8 tsp. dillweed
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 cup small curd 4% cottage cheese
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 beaten egg
- 2- 2 1/2 cups flour (part whole wheat is fine)
- optional additions: garlic powder, chopped scallions, parsley
- coarse sea salt
- coarse ground pepper
- In a small plastic bowl add a pinch of sugar, the water (105-115 degrees) and the yeast, stir to combine.
- Let yeast proof 8-10 minutes.
- If it doesn't bubble up, water was too hot, or not hot enough. Start over.
- If it's good to go, add all other ingredients, except flour.
- Add 2 cups of flour, stir.
- You want a somewhat firm dough, and not wet, or tacky.
- Add small amounts of flour until dough is firmed up. Form a ball.
- Cover and let rise one hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down.
- Butter a 2 quart round casserole dish, or 4 mini aluminum bread baking pans.
- Place dough in it/them, cover, and let rise 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 25 minutes and begin checking for doneness. Bread will rise and turn golden brown on top.
- Casserole- When done, cool a bit, gently work around the edges with a knife to loosen bread, turn out, brush with butter, and sprinkle top lightly with coarse salt and pepper.
- Cut in 8 pieces, or or wrap whole in brown paper to keep it moist.
- Loaf - brush with butter, salt, pepper. Cut and serve and wrap leftover bread in paper bags.
- Best served warm.
- To store this bread a day or so, place it in a paper bag, when completely cooled. Remove and re-heat uncovered in a 300 F oven for 10 minutes. Do not microwave. It only dries out any bread.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 88g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 44||22%|
|Total Fat 4.97g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.22g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 31.39g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|