An award-winning recipe to create an elegant alternative to traditional Italian cannoli--a definite crowd pleaser! Authentic vino cotto (vincotto) is the secret ingredient.
HOW-TO VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQcvAP7NNY
Read about my surprise when I discovered this recipe made it into the TASTE OF HOME CHRISTMAS 2011 cookbook: http://bit.ly/vh1P6q
- 1/2 packet of Athens Fillo (Phyllo) Dough (Twin Pack)
- 1 stick margarine
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon light cream
- Â½ teaspoon vanilla
- Â¾ cup confectioners sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1Â½ bars 3.5 oz. Lindt Intense Orange dark chocolate
- 1 oz. Vino Cotto di Montillo (available online at www.vinocotto.us)
- Thaw one packet of phyllo dough following the manufacturerâs directions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Using PAM No-Stick Cooking Spray, lightly coat a cookie sheet. Wipe a napkin over the surface of the cookie sheet to evenly spread the no-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the ricotta cheese, light cream, vanilla and confectioners sugar. Cover the ricotta mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Finely grate 4 to 5 chocolate squares and place into a small bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the margarine over low heat.
- While the margarine is slowly melting, carefully unroll one thawed packet of phyllo dough. Remove approx. 20 phyllo sheets (one half packet) and place them onto a flat, dry surface. The remaining 20 phyllo sheets should immediately be rewrapped tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated.
- Remove the melted margarine from the heat.
- Place the first phyllo sheet onto the greased cookie sheet. Dip a pastry brush (soft bristled brush) into the melted butter and spread butter evenly over the entire surface of the first sheet of phyllo dough. Place the second phyllo sheet on top of the first and generously apply butter with the pastry brush until this layer is evenly coated. Repeat these steps until all the phyllo sheets are layered, buttered (including the top sheet) and stacked on the cookie sheet.
- Press a sharp knife into the buttered phyllo dough stack down the center and horizontally to create four sections.
- Place the cookie sheet into the preheated oven to bake. Every 10-15 minutes remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Using a spatula, flip each stack of phyllo to evenly cook the dough. Itâs alright if pieces crumble during this step. Repeat this step until the phyllo dough becomes deep, golden brown and crispy. Some phyllo pieces will become crispier sooner than others. Remove these so they wonât burn, place them into a bowl and set aside.
- If the center of each stack of phyllo isnât browning up, split each stack in half using a fork or butter knife. Lay the uncooked side facing upward on top of the other sections and repeat Step #10. Keeping each stack of phyllo intact is not necessary. The goal is to brown it up.
- When the phyllo dough appears light, crispy and dark golden brown all over, remove the cookie sheet from the oven and allow the phyllo to completely cool at room temperature. Important: Do not refrigerate baked phyllo as it will soften.
- Place all cooled phyllo into a large freezer bag. Using a rolling pin, crumble the phyllo into small pieces. If there are any pieces of phyllo that arenât brittle enough to crumble, remove them.
- When ready to serve, use 6-ounce martini glasses. Fill the bottom half of the glasses with crumbled phyllo pieces. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of Vino Cotto over the phyllo pieces. Next, sprinkle a thin layer of grated chocolate over the phyllo pieces. Spoon the chilled ricotta mixture over the grated chocolate leaving about a Â½â space from the top of each martini glass. Sprinkle another thin layer of grated chocolate over the ricotta surface. To garnish insert one chocolate bar square at an angle into the ricotta. Serve. Yields up to 8 martini glasses.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 129g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 233||61%|
|Total Fat 26.41g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 10.02g||40%|
|Trans Fat 2.8g|
|Total Carbs 27.78g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|