This delicious Central American shredded beef salad is perfect for the buffet table or any large gathering. Serve it with tortillas, crispy or puffy taco shells, or on tostadas.
This version is for the crockpot, but you can braise it in the oven, too.
I especially like this recipe because you can strain the au jus and save it for other recipes calling for spicy beef broth.
- for the crockpot:
- 4 lbs. market trimmed brisket (butcher trimmed)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 tbs. salt
- 1/2 tbs. coarse ground pepper
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tbs. taco seasoning or Tex-Mex Diablo Dust
- salad dressing: Chipotle Vinaigrette, Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette, Italian vinaigrette (see link below for suggestions)
- accompaniments/garnishes of choice:
- avocado slices
- sour cream
- yellow or orange bell peppers, chopped
- lettuce leaves
- lime slices
- pico de gallo
- sliced radishes
- chopped cucumber
- sliced olives
- shredded cheese
- garbanzo beans
- Add trimmed brisket to the crockpot with other ingredients. Cook for 7-8 hours,or until falling apart.
- Remove brisket, let cool, shred.
- (Save the crockpot juices in fridge or freezer for the next time you need spicy beef broth.)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender, process until smooth. Add to salpicon beef, then refrigerate.
- Let salpicon come to room temp before serving, toss again, then place it in a lettuce-lined bowl topped with garnishes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 107g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 41||67%|
|Total Fat 4.7g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.98g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.02g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|