This is a great Tuscan recipe adapted from the Flavors of Tuscan cookbook by Maxine Clark. Maxine recommends making fresh chickpea pasta. We use Barilla Plus pasta, which is made with chickpeas just like Maxine recommends. By skipping making your own pasta, this becomes a very easy and healthy dish.
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped red peppers or 1 generous pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes chopped or 2 14.5 oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fish stock, we use dashi (optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 lbs shelled raw shrimp
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 pound Barilla Plus spaghetti or linguini
- 1/2 cup chopped italian parsley
- sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Fry garlic on med-high in oil until in begins to color, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and chili and cook about 5 minutes. Add the wine and stock. Season with sugar, salt and pepper, then simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes to reduce fluid by about half.
- Add pasta to a pot of boiling water on another burner.
- Add the shrimp and chickpeas to the tomatoes and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the pasta with the sauce poured generously over it. Serve with a crusty Italian bread.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 531g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 104||16%|
|Total Fat 11.84g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 1.82g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 84.67g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.9g||26%|