In the Texas summertime, it can be 100 degrees, or more, for weeks on end. The thought of using the oven to cook at home means I get out the crockpot whenever I can. However, in the winter this recipe works great in a dutch oven.
This simple, delicious chicken dish cooks in its own sauce, so just decide what rice or potato dish you want to serve it with. And, you can make this recipe with any herbs you wish. I like to use fresh rosemary.
Note: When this dish is done, I pour the sauce into a container and put it in the freezer an hour or so. Then I skim off the coagulated fat at the top, and throw it out. Just leave the chicken in the crockpot on warm, and pour the sauce back in and re-warm it.
- 6-8 pieces chicken, skin on, bone-in
- 2 tbs. oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1" rounds
- 2 stalks celery, cut in 1" pieces
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 2 tbs. chopped parsley
- or 1/2 tbs. dried
- 1/2 tbs. dry herbs of choice
- Turn the crockpot on high.
- Add the salt and pepper to the flour.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, fry it in the oil until lightly browned, place in the crockpot.
- Saute the mushrooms, put in the fridge.
- Saute the onions and garlic, add to the crockpot, along with the thyme, celery, and carrot chunks.
- Pour stock over the chicken, cover and cook until the chicken is almost done, about an hour.
- Add the mushrooms and herbs of choice.
- Cook another half hour or so.
- Discard the skin, if you wish.
- The sauce will be savory, but thin.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1542g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2031||63%|
|Total Fat 225.34g||282%|
|Saturated Fat 64.84g||259%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 11.88g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|