This age old recipe is apt for any occassion
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cost per serving $4.95 view details
- 1 cup peanuts - roast them, when they are cooled, rub and remove the skins
- 1 cup sesame seeds - dry roast them
- 8 to 10 dried red chillies
- One tablespoon of coriander seeds
- Half teaspoon of cumin
- 4 cloves, one small piece of cinnamon stick
- 5 to 6 fenugreek seeds (menthulu)(They taste bitter so limit the number)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Tamarind Soak key-lime size tamarind in half cup of water and microwave it for about 15 to 30 seconds. Let the water cool down and squeeze the tamarind to get the paste
- Grind all of the above ingredients to a fine, smooth paste. You have to stuff this paste into brinjals so while grinding, under any circumstances, do not add water.
- Divide it into two portions, one for stuffing and the other half for sauce/gravy.
- Take each green brinjal and on the end, opposite of stem, make a plus shape slit towards stem side but not all the way through (one vertical and one horizontal slit).
- Fill up the plus shape slit (gap) with stuffing.
- Put tadka(toasting the black mustard seeds and cumin in one teaspoon of oil). Add half of the peanut-sesame paste that was kept aside and half to one glass of water and one teaspoon of turmeric.
- Make the gravy/sauce more on the thin side or watery. Taste it, add salt, red chilli powder and tamarind paste if needed.
- Arrange the stuffed brinjals neatly in the gravy, slit side up. Cover and cook them until the green brinjals are very tender to touch.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 84g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 375||80%|
|Total Fat 43.3g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 7.15g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 11.28g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.5g||28%|