Cucumber & Tomato Salad - with red onion and a touch of jalapeno. Great on a burger, or with grilled meats
...mix the veggies together, add apple cider vinegar, some sea salt & olive oil. A great, refreshing salad!
This is a very finely-minced salad-condiment commonly found in the northern mountains of Morocco. It is eaten with roast meats and substantial meat dishes. Most Moroccan salads benefit from a bit of quiet time so the flavors can integrate and the aromas build. This is very tasty as a topping for hamburgers, and can even be a dip, if drained of some of the delicious juices. I would suggest you try it with a roast of lamb. A variation would be the addition of just a pinch of ground cumin and the substitution of lemon juice for the vinegar. A minced garlic clove works well, adding a little more heat and boldness to the dish.
This is a Riffi dish - so feel free to go off on your own riff...
- 1 lg ripe, but firm tomato
- 1 med red onion
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 small red jalapeno peppers (OK, green works - or one red, one green...)
- 1 splash of cider vinegar
- 1 drizzle of rich olive oil
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- To reduce the eventual extra juice, quarter the tomato and remove the seeds. Leave the skin. Finely dice the tomato
- Slit the cucmber lengthwise. Using the business end of a spoon, scoop and remove the seeds. Finely dice the cucumber
- Finely dice the onion
- Put a little oil on the fingers of the hand that will hold the hot peppers. Spilt the jalapenos lengthwise and carefully pare out the seeds and rib from each pepper. Finely dice the peppers. Wash your hands with soap.
- Mix the minced vegetables in a bowl
- Splash a bit of vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil onto the mixture (to taste)
- Spoon onto a serving dish and garnish with a pinch of salt
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 110g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||10%|
|Total Fat 0.18g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.01g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.31g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|