This is so simple, you'll laugh. It tastes so good, you'll cry. I make this when we are grilling for our guests and friends and they love it. You can also do this in your oven, any time.
I know an eminent doctor of Chinese medicine who once told me that it was OK to eat a Big Mac once in a while. You're an adult, adjust things to suit your sensibilities: a butter substitute, light olive oil, bac-o-bits.
No need to 'turn' the potato while it's roasting. You want the well-darkened skin on the bottom and the lovely 'melted' bacon sprawling on top... but no substitutes for me.
- Idaho baking potatoes (as many as you have guests)
- butter (a pat or two)
- olive oil
- springs of fresh thyme (one for each potato)
- smoked bacon (one strip for every 2 potatoes
- sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Lay out 2 sheets of aluminum foil for each potato
- Wash the spuds
- cut the strip(s) of bacon in half
- rinse the thyme
- Carefully cut the potato lengthwise, but DO NOT cut all the way through, then, give your chef's knife a slight twist until you hear a faint 'crack', creating a hinge
- CAREFULLY: with a dinner fork, pierce the inside of each side of each potato 4 times horizontally, then 3-4 times vertically. This will give you a more tender inside and will 'permeate' the spud with the butter & thyme
- Place the potato on the double foil
- Cut thin slices of butter (or 1 long thin slice) and pry the potato open just enough to slip the butter between the halves
- Lay a sprig of thyme on the slit and, with the back of your knife, push the sprig between the halves, into the butter
- Rub any 'oozing' butter all over the skin, lube it up!
- Lay a half strip of bacon over the slit
- Drizzle olive oil over the potato
- Loosely fold the first sheet of foil over the potato and scrunch up the ends to cover
- Loosely fold the second sheet of foil over the first and fold to seal
- Place on the grill (or in a 350^ oven) for 1 hour
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 193g|
|Calories from Fat 155||53%|
|Total Fat 17.26g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6.96g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.1g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|