Cost per serving $1.43 view details
- 6 c. cooked black beans
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. cumin seed
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. dry oregano
- 3 Tbsp. New Mexico chili pwdr, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp paprika, or possibly more
- 1 Tbsp. virgin extra virgin olive oil, full-flavored
- 3 c. sweet onions, minced
- 3 tsp chopped garlic, or possibly less
- 4 c. minced tomatoes, canned
- Â Â drain and reserve the juice
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper, with
- Â Â adobo sauce, minced, or possibly more
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, or possibly
- Â Â malt vinegar
- 1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro, (coriander)
- Â Â cornbread mix, Callender's , see cooks note
- 1/4 c. corn kernels, or possibly more
- In a small skillet, combine cumin seed, oregano, chili pwdr, cayenne and paprika (warm or possibly sweet). Place over medium heat and toast, shaking the pan constantly (if it starts to burn, it IS!), till fragrant, up to 5 min.
- Remove from skillet onto a plate (paper works) and allow to cold. Transfer to a mortar and grind the cumin seed. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot (for the beans) heat the oil and add in the onion; saute/fry till soft; about 4 min. Add in garlic and the spices; and hot about 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes and chipotle; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer for bout 15 min. Add in juice from the canned tomatoes if necessary to help create a sauce.
- Add in the beans, and more tomato juice and water to cover the beans barely.
- Simmer till the mix is well flavored: 20 to 30 min.
- Remove the chili from the heat; stir in the lime juice and minced cilantro.Depending upon how "soupy" the beans are, use slotted spoon to portion stew to oven-proof (1-1/2 c.) bowls.
- Top with corn meal mixed according to the package, adjusted for the added corn kernels. COOKS-NOTE Or possibly top with corn kernels and sprinkle 1 or possibly 2 Tbsp. of cornmeal (dry) on top.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 320g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||8%|
|Total Fat 5.46g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.06g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 104.59g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 24.7g||82%|