Cost per serving $1.39 view details
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 c. Minced yellow onions divided Salt to taste Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 c. Basmati rice
- 4 c. Chicken stock
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 4 x Squabs glove boned, with gizzards, hearts, and livers reserved
- 3 x Garlic cloves crushed
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. Minced celery
- 1/2 tsp Minced garlic
- 1 dsh Brandy
- 1/4 c. Minced green onions, green part only
- 1 Tbsp. Finely-minced fresh parsley leaves
- 20 x Baby carrots blanched
- 20 x Haricot verte blanched
- 1 c. Port reduction warm (port wine reduced by half)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saute/fry pan, heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil. Add in 1/2 c. onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute/fry for 1 minute. Add in the rice, stir to coat and cover with 2 c. chicken stock and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook till the rice is just tender, al dente. Remove from the heat and cold.
- Cut up the gizzards and hearts and place in a sauce pan. Add in 1 c. chicken stock, 1 bay leaf and crushed garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min or possibly till tender and strain.
- Clean all the livers free of veins and pat dry on paper towels. In a saute/fry pan, heat 1 Tbsp. butter till smoking. Season the livers with salt and pepper. Add in the livers and quickly sear them on both sides. Remove the livers from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the remaining 1/4 c. onions, celery and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the brown particles from the pan as the vegetables wilt. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the brandy. Deglaze the pan and cook till the alcohol burns off. Set aside and cold.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the cooked gizzards, hearts, livers, and vegetable mix. Puree till smooth. Season the squabs with salt and pepper. In a oven-proof saute/fry pan, heat the remaining oil. When the oil is smoking, add in the squabs, skin side down, and sear for 2 min. Flip the squabs over and place in the oven. Roast for about 8 min or possibly till golden brown and internal temperature is medium.
- In a large saute/fry pan, combine the rice, liver mix, and remaining stock. Saute/fry till the mix is heated through. Reseason if necessary. Stir in the green onions and parsley. In another saute/fry pan, heat the remaining butter. Add in the carrots and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Saute/fry for 2 to 3 min. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, mound the rice in the center of each plate. Lay the squabs on top of the rice. Arrange the vegetables around the rice. Spoon the Port reduction sauce over the squab and serve.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 395g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 171||44%|
|Total Fat 19.44g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 7.05g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 45.98g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|