This is one of those simple recipes that are almost embarrassing to put on this website. But this was really tasty and healthy, and our kids devoured it. I have everything being prepared in parallel, so the whole dish takes less than 25 minutes start to finish. If you're tight on time, this is a winner!
- 1 box (about 16 oz) penne pasta (we use Barilla Plus and love it...much healthier than plain semolina pasta)
- 1 jar good marinara (I used Trader Joes tomato & basil)
- 1 pound fresh spinach (frozen would probably work in a pinch)
- 3-4 ounces dried mushrooms reconstituted (I used Costco's dried gourmet mushroom blend...a good investment!)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 2-3 Tbsp)
- Put two quarts of water and generous sprinkling of salt on to boil in a large pot.
- Put the dried mushrooms in a bowl with very hot water and cover.
- Put the marinara in a sauce pan, cover, and bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- As soon as the water in the pasta pot boils, put the fresh spinach in. Blanch for 2-3 minutes until softened. Place a colander over a large pasta pot. Pour the hot water and spinach through the colander. Remove the colander with the spinach and place pasta pot with the hot water from the spinach back on the stove and bring to boil.
- Cut the spinach a bit further using kitchen shears and add to the simmering marinara. Drain the mushrooms, chop as desired, and add to the marinara. Stir, taste, and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- When the water in the pasta pot boils, add the penne and another generous sprinkling of salt.
- When the penne is done as you like, drain the water and return the penne to the pot. Using a spatula, add all of the marinara to the penne and stir to coat. Add a tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and stir again. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with additional fresh Parmesan cheese.
- Goes very well with a crusty Italian bread.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 137g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 11||21%|
|Total Fat 1.26g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.28g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.16g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|