The holy grail of salmon chowders! :)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Cost per serving $3.33 view details
- 1 thick slice bacon, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, white part only, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 medium leek, white part only, diced
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups clam juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups corn kernels, frozen
- 1 3/4 pounds fresh salmon baked seasoned with Chef Paul Prudomme's salmon seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- Julienned fresh basil leaves for garnish
- While salmon is baking, start cooking the vegetables and other ingredients.
- In a heavy saucepan cook the bacon over medium heat until just beginning to brown. Stir in the onion, celery, red pepper ad fennel and saute, stirring constantly, until the onion is transparent, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, leek, carrots and potato and continue to saute for 3 more minutes. Add the clam juice and chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring to a slow boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile in a small, heavy skillet, combine the butter and flour over medium heat. Stir with a small whisk over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and smells toasty, about 3 minutes. Do not let it brown.
- Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the mixture until smooth. Add this back to the chowder, stirring to combine. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes. Stir in the corn,salmon, thyme and oregano and heat to warm. Taste, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the fresh basil.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 431g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 289||57%|
|Total Fat 32.46g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 14.21g||57%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.98g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|