Cost per serving $2.71 view details
- 2Â 1/2 lb pot roast, round bone, 7-bone
- Â Â or possibly rump roast
- 1 x garlic clove thinly sliced
- 5 x garlic cloves pressed or possibly chopped
- 1 x strip lean bacon cut 1/2" pcs
- 1 x strip lean bacon chopped
- 1Â 1/2 lb spareribs cut 6 pcs
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can chicken broth - (14 1/2 ounce)
- 1 x broth can water
- 3 x onions finely minced
- 2Â 1/2 lb beef grnd twice
- 1 tsp MSG (optional)
- 1 tsp grnd allspice
- 1/2 tsp freshly-grnd white pepper
- Â Â A large handful parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/3 c. Marsala wine
- 1/3 c. white wine
- 3 x tomatoes minced
- 1 can tomato sauce - (8 ounce)
- 2 lb mostaccioli
- Make slits in pot roast using paring knife. Wrap garlic slices in 1/2-inch bacon pcs and insert in pot roast. Season roast and spareribs with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and brown meats, about 15 min. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add in broth and water to pan drippings. Heat slowly, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen brown bits.
- In large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat remaining extra virgin olive oil and chopped bacon over medium heat. Add in onions and saute/fry till golden. Add in grnd beef, breaking up clumps of meat. Add in 2 tsp. salt, MSG if using, allspice, white pepper and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Stir till grnd beef is browned, 8 to 10 min.
- Add in pot roast and spareribs to onion mix. Add in parsley and pressed garlic and stir to mix proportionately. Add in flour, stirring constantly till absorbed. Pour wine over meat in pot and stir till evaporated.
- Add in tomatoes and cook 5 min. Add in tomato sauce. Pour broth, water and pan drippings over meat mix. Simmer on medium low heat, covered, till pot roast and spareribs are tender, about 1 hour. Stir often.
- Cook mostaccioli in large pot of salted water till al dente, 10 to 12 min. Drain. Slice pot roast and arrange on platter with ribs. Add in mostaccioli to sauce and mix. Cover meat with sauce and serve.
- This recipe yields 12 servings.
- NOTES : Dolores Lisica contributed this recipe to the first volume of "Around the World, Around Our Town"
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 362g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 407||64%|
|Total Fat 45.24g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 15.66g||63%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 8.1g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|