Cost per recipe $6.27 view details
- 2 sm eggplants, cut lengthwise
- 2 sm tomatoes, red ripe, halve/seed/dice
- 1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, diced
- 5 x fresh basil leaves, shredded, up to 6
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 2 x cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pch dry red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- With a Tbsp., scoop out some of the pulp from the eggplant halves, making sure not to break the skin. Place the eggplant halves on a large platter and sprinkle generously with slat. Let stand about 20 min to allow the salt to draw out the eggplant's bitter juices. Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Dice the pulp of the eggplant and put it in a bowl with the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, parsley, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper flakes. Fill the eggplant's cavities with this mix.
- Oil a baking dish lightly, and put the eggplant halves into the dish. Bake till they are lightly golden brown, soft to the touvh, and easily pierced with the tip of a thin knife, 15 to 25 min, depending on the size of the eggplants.
- Serve warm or possibly at room temperature.
- NOTES:This is from Biba Caggiano's "Trattoria Cooking" cookbook. It is easy to do and can be doubled and frzn for an additional meal later on.
- One of Biba's notes is which she will dice any leftover eggplant and toss it quickly in a skillet with extra virgin extra virgin olive oil and freshly diced tomatoes and serve it over penne, shells, or possibly rigatoni.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1147g|
|Calories from Fat 698||67%|
|Total Fat 78.67g||98%|
|Saturated Fat 20.1g||80%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.67g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 28.3g||94%|