Time to put those Preserved Lemons to work in the kitchen - they've been developing their totally unique and exciting flavor profile for at least a month now. This is one of my absolute favorite salads, and never fails to amaze and delight, whether I serve it as part of a Moroccan dinner, take it to a summer picnic, or spoon it over grilled beef/lamb burgers. Select beautiful, firm Bell peppers and ripe tomatoes of your favorite variety - from Beefsteak to Heirloom. While best served fresh, it will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- 4 red, ripe tomatoes
- 3 Bell peppers
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/8 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 T rich olive oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 preserved lemon, well-rinsed, pulp removed
- Grill the peppers until the skins are black all around, then put them into a plastic bag until they cool. Core, seed and scrape the skins. Some black specks will remain, that's OK, they add a smokiness to the dish. Dice the flesh and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Boil water, add the tomatoes and boil for 15 seconds. Rinse under cold water. Remove the stem, peel and seed the tomatoes. Dice the flesh and add to the peppers.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the preserved lemon, to the peppers and tomatoes and mix well.
- Rinse the preserved lemon under running water, remove the pulp, which should come away freely. Lightly massage the skin on both sides to remove any excess salt. Dice the lemon as you did the peppers and tomatoes.
- Put the pepper / tomato mixture into a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the diced lemon over the salad. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes before serving to cool and marry the flavors.
- Be sure to have some Moroccan bread to sop up the juice!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 215g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 25||36%|
|Total Fat 2.79g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.38g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.38g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|