Cost per serving $0.51 view details
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med onion sliced thin rings
- 2 med leeks, white and light green parts washed, and
- Â Â sliced into rings
- 2 x celery stalks with leaves sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 c. dry cannellini (white) beans soaked 6 hrs,
- Â Â and liquid removed
- Â Â (or possibly a 28 ounce can of them, liquid removed)
- 1 x bouquet garni of
- 1 tsp coriander seeds plus
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns plus
- Â Â thyme plus
- Â Â parsley and
- 1 x bay leaf tied in cheesecloth
- 8 c. water
- 1/2 c. finely-chopped prosciutto ham
- 4 c. broccoli florets in small bites
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- If you are using dry beans, soak them for at least 6 hrs.
- To start the soup, saute/fry onions, leeks, celery, and garlic in the butter and oil on medium heat for about 5 min. Pour in the water and the liquid removed beans, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and plunge in the bouquet garni of herbs. Simmer for 2 hrs (less if you are using liquid removed, canned beans).
- When beans are completely tender, remove the bouquet garni, and season to taste. You can leave at a low simmer at this point.
- When ready to serve, stir in the prosciutto ham and the broccoli. You do not want to do this earlier, because the broccoli will turn color. Simmer for about 5 min, till the broccoli is just tender.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and grind a little more fresh pepper into the soup. Ladle into bowls and garnish with generous handfuls of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm as a meal to 4, with lots of crusty bread.
- Comments: This hearty Tuscan soup is a superb blend of textures and flavors and colors - and is incredibly rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 585g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 58||62%|
|Total Fat 6.6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.34g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.86g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|