Sausages and bread have made the perfect combination for breakfast since the ages. Instead of eating a simple bread and sausage sandwich, surprise your family with tasty Italian sausage bread. The following Italian sausage bread recipe is easy to prepare and can be made in advance. It takes only a short time to prepare (an hour and a half).
- What you will need for the sausage bread recipe:
- Italian sausages â 1 Â½ kg
- Yellow cornmeal for dusting â 2 tablespoons
- Frozen pizza bread dough â 1 loaf
- Olive oil â 1 teaspoon
- Cut and diced onions â 1 cup
- Peeled and chopped garlic â 1 teaspoon
- Crushed red chili flakes â Â½ teaspoon (if you like chili, then you can increase the amount)
- Chopped basil leaves â 3 teaspoons
- Chopped parsley leaves â 3 teaspoons
- Salt â to taste
- Mozzarella cheese â 1 Â½ cups
- Egg â 1
- Water â 2 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 375Â°F.
- Take an 8x12 inch baking dish and dust a little cornmeal on the inside. This prevents the bread from sticking to the sides and also gives it a nice texture.
- Mix the egg and water and keep it aside.
- Take the pizza dough from the packaging and let it thaw at room temperature.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and add the sausages to it.
- Keep cooking on low heat until the sausages are cooked from the inside and brown on the outside. If you leave the heat too high then it will not cook evenly.
- Add the onions and fry for about three minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is golden brown (you can increase or decrease the amount of garlic depending on your taste).
- Add the chopped herbs and salt. Mix well and let it cook for about two minutes. Keep stirring in between so that everything is cooked evenly.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely before filling the bread.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a flat surface to a 10x14 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on the dough (leave one inch on all sides for rolling).
- Spread the cooled sausage mix on the dough and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over it.
- Brush the sides of the dough with some of the egg and water mix to help seal the edges.
- Starting from the long end, roll the dough in an oblong shape and press lightly to seal the edges.
- Brush the rest of the egg-water mix over the top of the bread roll.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- Cool and cut in slices to serve with butter and salsa mix.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 437g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1156||80%|
|Total Fat 128.2g||160%|
|Saturated Fat 47.37g||189%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.36g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|