As we all know potatoes are used as an alternative on rice and when it comes to bread recipe potatoes are also a perfect ingredient. This is a delicious Indian fry bread recipe made using potatoes. You can make them in no time at all with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen pantry.
- Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups of refined flour (you can use wheat flour too, but refined flour turns out more crispy)
- Â½ teaspoon of salt (remember you are going to put salt in the filling too, so adjust according to taste)
- Approx. 2 cups of water at room temperature (to knead the dough)
- Approx. 2 tablespoons of hot oil (to knead the dough)
- Â½ teaspoon of carom seeds
- Â½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- Â½ teaspoon of red chili powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- Â½ to 1 teaspoon of salt (for the filling)
- Â½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Oil for frying
- How to prepare:
- Place the flour in a deep plate. Make a well in the middle and pour the hot oil in the middle of the flour.
- Add the cumin seeds and carom seeds to the oil and mix with the flour using a fork. You will get a crumbly mix.
- Set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Now add salt to the dough and start mixing the water into it (2 tablespoons at a time), then knead it to a hard dough. Donât add too much water otherwise the dough will be too sticky to roll out and will not hold the filling.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest.
- Boil the potatoes, peel and mash them.
- In a small frying pan, add some oil and once it heats shut the gas off.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and turmeric powder.
- Pour the oil mix on the potatoes, add the salt and mix well.
- Make small round balls of the mixture for the filling.
- To prepare the fry bread:
- Make small balls of the dough.
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin on a flat surface. If it feels a little sticky then brush a few drops of oil over it.
- Place the filling in the middle of the rolled out dough, then wrap the dough around the filling to make a ball.
- Gently roll out the ball to make Â¼ inch patties.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan until it is smoking hot then lower the heat.
- Deep-fry the patties in the oil until golden brown on both sides. The fry bread will be crisp and ready to serve.
- Serve hot with pickles and chutneys. You can also make a tomato gravy to go with it.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 83g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||3%|
|Total Fat 0.27g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.07g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.58g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|