Bread and butter have long been a staple part of the diet of many households. You can easily turn this simple combination into a sophisticated dessert by adding some simple and easily available ingredients at your home. The bread and butter pudding recipe given below proves just how easy it is to turn simple bread and butter into a yummy and heartwarming dessert.
- Items needed:
- 50 grams of raisins and currants
- 200 ml of whole milk
- 7 ml of vanilla essence
- Zest of 1/2 lemon or orange
- 75 grams of butter
- 8 slices of your favorite bread (sourdough, fruit bread, panettone etc.) You can use fresh bread, but we recommend day-old bread.
- 3 eggs
- Castor sugar â 2 tablespoons
- 100 ml of double cream
- Demerara sugar â 1 tablespoon
- Grated nutmeg (according to taste)
- - Preheat the oven to 180C.
- - Remove the crusts of the bread and cut the bread in triangles.
- - Toast the bread on both sides and keep aside.
- - Heat the milk and vanilla in a saucepan until warm.
- - Remove from heat and cool. Stir in the lemon or orange zest.
- - In a separate bowl, whip the eggs and sugar together until fluffy.
- - Add the milk and vanilla mix to the egg and whip some more to mix well.
- - Pour in the cream and mix well.
- - Take a glass baking dish and line the bottom with some of the bread triangles.
- - Pour in some of the egg-cream mix on the top of the bread and sprinkle some of the raisins and currants on the top.
- - Let the custard stand for about 20 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the liquid.
- - Layer the rest of the bread triangles on the top and pour the rest of the egg-cream mix on the top of it.
- - Sprinkle the rest of the raisins and currants and drizzle the butter, demerara sugar and grated nutmeg on the top.
- - Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- - Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- - You can add a layer of white and dark chocolate on the bottom layer of the bread.
- - Sprinkle some cinnamon along with the nutmeg for more 'jazz' in the taste.
- Serving suggestions:
- - Serve with whipped cream and fruits on the side when serving.
- - You can serve the bread and butter pudding with some warm chocolate sauce.
- - Sprinkle some icing sugar on the top before serving for extra sweetness.
- - To add some glaze to the pudding you can brush some marmalade on the top and bake for another 2-3 minutes before serving.
- - You can also add some cashews, sultanas and apricots in the pudding to add to the taste.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 150g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 222||67%|
|Total Fat 25.12g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 14.68g||59%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.0g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|