It’s officially fall and there’s something quite special about a big pot of soup cooking on the stove top. What I adore about this flavorful chicken soup is that it’s not only delicious, it’s so healthy. The barley adds an amazing amount of fiber along with the squash and the carrots, squash, celery and onions are loaded with vitamins. The skinny for 1 cup is 142 calories, 1 gram of fat, 5 grams of fiber and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. It’s so hearty you can serve this as main course soup.
- 1 (48 ounce) container Swansonâs reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (32-oz) container Swansonâs reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dried pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1Â½ cups carrots, sliced
- 1Â½ cups celery, sliced
- 1Â½ cups onions, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breasts, (boneless, skinless), cubed
- 1 (12 oz) bag pre-peeled, pre-chopped butternut squash or 2 Â½ cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- Â½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Â½ teaspoon dried sage
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1. In a large pot add the chicken broth and barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. In the meantime, in a nonstick pan add the olive oil, garlic, carrots, celery, onions, and sautÃ© until soft (~ 5 minutes).
- 3. Add the sautÃ©ed vegetables to the broth. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes
- 4. Add the chicken, butternut squash, thyme, sage and fresh ground pepper. Continue to cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir a few times with a rubber spatula so the squash doesnât get mushy.
- 5. This soup freezes great.
- Weight Watchers (old points) 2
- Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
- SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cup
- 142 calories, 1g fat, 13g protein, 22g carbs, 5g fiber, 503mg sodium, 2g sugar
- For more skinny recipes join me oat http://skinnykitchen.com.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 279g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 31||22%|
|Total Fat 3.46g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.92g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 18.85g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|