This homemade Mexican style chicken soup is so rich in intriguing flavors, vibrant in color and tantalizing aromas that fill your kitchen. It’s usually made by combining chicken broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and fried tortillas. There are numerous variations to add after that. We added cooked chicken along with fiber rich black beans and hominy for texture. We also used a fabulous blend of spices from a company we found on the Central Coast (see shopping tip) to make this classic soup, the best we’ve ever tasted! The skinny on a cup of our delectable soup is 180 calories and just 4 grams of fat. For the same serving, Baja Fresh makes one at 320 calories and 14 grams of fat. The most astounding number is their sodium content at 2760 mg. Yikes... Our recipe’s always a huge hit with everyone. It’s so hearty and satisfying it can be served as the main course too!
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Â½ cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons Spice of Life âSouthwestern Mesquiteâ seasoning, see shopping tip below
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, we like Swansonâs
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- Juice of one lime
- 1 Â¼ cups reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed
- In a large nonstick pot, add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tortillas, tomato paste, and Southwestern mesquite seasonings or our blend (see shopping tip) and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring up to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the hominy, beans and chicken and mix well. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Shopping Tip
- At a wine event on the Central Coast of California we discovered the most amazing spice company called The Spice of Life. They sell 6 fabulous blends of the most delicious, all natural spices. Weâre using their âSouthwestern Mesquiteâ for this soup. It gives our soup a rich, wonderful flavor. Visit their website to see how to order or where they sell their line of spices at www.PasoSpices.com. You wonât be disappointed! And, theyâre super nice people too!
- If you canât use Spice of Lifeâs Southwestern Mesquite seasoning, you can substitute with this combination of spices-2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoons chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. If you desire more heat, add â teaspoon ground red pepper.
- Skinny Facts: for one cup
- 180 calories, 4g fat, 12g protein, 26g carbs, 6g fiber, 584mg sodium, 5g sugar
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 338g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 127||31%|
|Total Fat 14.15g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2.62g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 53.9g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.2g||31%|