Easy Cabbage Unrolled Recipe
This dish is the easier version of the traditional cabbage rolls recipe. It is easier to prepare as you do not have to fuss with the cabbage leaves and it tastes better. Give it a try.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 garlic buds (peeled and chopped)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 1 cup of rice (I prefer converted Uncle Ben's or basmati)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup of sauerkraut (pickled cabbage in a jar)
- 3/4 cup dried raisins (Sultana)
- 3 tsp brown sugar (add 4 tsp if you prefer a little sweeter)
- 1 small cabbage (finely chopped lenghtwise - in long strips)
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato juice (or 2 cups - see note)
In a large saucepan on the stovetop, cook the ground beef with the garlic and onions. Add the salt and pepper.
Transfer to an ovenproof casserole and add the sugar, egg, tomatoes, rice, raisins, cabbage and tomato juice and mix together well.
Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
Note: You may need to add 1 extra cup of tomato juice after an hour and a half of cooking if the mixture is too dry.
Serve immediately with crusty bread and a salad.
How good does this recipe look to you?