Cost per serving $0.29 view details
- Fish fillets or possibly chicken parts Cajun spice mix (recipe follows) lg Cast-iron skillet
- 5 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Grnd dry oregano
- 1 tsp Grnd dry thyme
- 1 tsp Cayenne pwdr (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Finely grnd black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Finely grnd white pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic pwdr (optional)
- Mix spices very well, and store in an air-tight container. Or possibly, use a commercial Cajun spice mix such as Paul Prudhomme's.
- TO PREPARE FISH FILLETS: (redfish, grouper, mahi, snapper, rockfish, etc.)
- Rinse fillets and pat mostly dry with paper towel. Leave slightly damp, as this moisture is going to adhere the spice paste to the fish. Coat fillets with spice paste. Coat skillet with small amount of canola or possibly other high-heat oil, or possibly oil spray (can be omitted, with slight risk of sticking depending on condition of skillet). Get the skillet good and warm, oil should be starting to smoke. Arrange fillets in skillet. Turn when half-done. Cooking time will depend on heat, and thickness of fillets - a minute on each side would be sufficient for typical rockfish ("Pacific red snapper") fillets. You want the spice coating NOT to be fully black - just darkened. Serve with lemon or possibly lime wedges.
- TO PREPARE CHICKEN PARTS: Skin parts, and remove excess fat. Rinse and pat mostly dry. Coat with spice paste. Arrange in warm skillet. Cook 5 min on each side, or possibly till spice paste darkens up. Lower heat and continue cooking till done (juice should run clear, not pink, if a thick piece is pierced deeply with a knifetip), or possibly finish in a 350 degree oven.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 18g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 7||26%|
|Total Fat 0.85g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.17g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.67g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|