Cost per serving $1.21 view details
- 2/3 cup dried haricot beans (or white Navy or other white beans)
- 2 1/2 boned shoulder of lamb, tied with string (or leg)
- 1 oz butter (clarified if you have it)
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock or bouillon
- 1 bouquet garni (There is no generic recipe for bouquet garni, but most recipes include parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Depending on the recipe, the bouquet garni may include basil, burnet, celery leaves, thyme, chervil, rosemary, peppercorns, savory and tarragon. Make your own if you can't find one in the store...or use a small amount of these herbs dried).
- Put the beans in the pot or a bowl with plenty of water for them to absorb. Soak for 8-10 hours. Drain. Add beans to boiling water and cook on med, partially covered, for 40 minutes. Drain.
- Rub the lamb with kosher salt and fresh pepper. Heat the butter in a large casserole with lid. Add the lamb and cook over high for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently until all sides are browned.
- Remove the lamb. Add the carrot, onion, garlic, and bouquet garni (or herbs) and cook at medium, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes. Increase to high heat and pour in wine. Boil for 20 seconds to deglaze the casserole dish, then return the lamb. Add the stock.
- Bring to boil, then cover and reduce to simmer. Braise for 1 1/2 hours, turning once or twice. If the lid is loose, cover with foil and put lid on.
- Add the cooked beans to the casserole and raise heat to high until boiling. Reduce to simmer again, cover, and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Serving: Lift our the lamb, cover with foil, and rest for 10 minutes. Boil the remaining sauce briefly if thin and remove excess fat as desired. Taste for seasoning. Carve the lamb, place on platter, surround with the beans and vegetables, drizzle with sauce. Serve the rest of the sauce in a separate bowl.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 223g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 53||36%|
|Total Fat 6.03g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.75g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 11.33g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|