This is a delicious, easy to prepare Italian antipasto. Make sure you serve it hot. Close your eyes and imagine you are in a small Italian restaurant near the beach in southern Italy. This is better than 98% of the calamari you'll ever order in a US restaurant - guaranteed. Yum!
- 2 quarts olive oil for frying (substitute vegetable oil if price is an issue)
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned and drained
- 4 lemons, 2 sliced to 1/4 inch, plus 2 wedged
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, cut in half across the face
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour oil into a deep pan (3-5 inches deep). Use a basket or strainer for frying if you have one. Heat over medium until just smoking. (around 360-375 F)
- In a wide bowl, mix 1/2 calamari,1/2 lemon slices, and 1/2 scallops. Sprinkle with 1 cup cornstarch and salt toss with your hands.
- Place the mixture into the basket or carefully into the oil if no basket, shaking off any excess cornstarch into the bowl. Place the basket into the hot oil.
- Fry about 1 minute until golden brown and crispy. Remove the fritto to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Immediately repeat, combining the remaining lemons, calamari, scallops, and cornstarch.
- Season the fritto with kosher salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with fresh lemon wedges.