A hearty oxtail dish with star anise, Chinese mushroom, daikon and carrots. The oxtails turn tender when cooked slow and the bones add a lot of favor to the meat.
- 12 2- to 2 1/2-inch thick oxtail pieces (about 4 Â½ pounds), fat trimmed
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 5 â 6 stalks green onion, cut Â¼ inch thick. Save 2 tbsp for garnish.
- Â½ cup soy sauce
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled and flattened slightly
- 8 whole star anise
- 6 1/4-inch thick rounds fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons Chinese ground bean sauce
- 20 Chinese dry mushroom or shitake mushroom, soaked in water for about 2 hours until softened
- 3 daikons (Chinese radish), cut in Â½-inch slices
- 3 carrots, cut in Â½-inch slices
- Sauce for Browning oxtails
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (double distilled is preferred, can substitute sake)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Mix soy sauce, water, rice wine and sugar before cooking.
- 1. For browning oxtails, heat oil over medium heat in a wok or Dutch oven. When you see a slight smoke, add 2 slices of ginger, 2 tbsp of green onions, 3 garlic cloves and ground bean sauce, stir and cook for 20 - 30 seconds. Add oxtails to wok.
- 2. Add mixed sauce* to wok and brown oxtails slightly on all sides, about 5 â 8 minutes.
- 3. Transfer oxtails to Dutch oven. Add remaining 7 ingredients (chicken stock, green onions, soy sauce, garlic, star anise, ginger, brown sugar) and enough water to cover the oxtails by Â½ inch, bring to a boil.
- 4. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer until very tender, adding more water by Â½ cupfuls as needed to keep oxtails covered, about 3 hours total cook time.
- 5. Add mushrooms, daikons and carrots about 2 hours into cooking, add water if needed to keep vegetables covered, cook until vegetables are softened. Garnish with green parts of green onion.
- Adapted from Braised Oxtails with Star Anise and Chinese Greens in Bon Appetit, January 2007.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 381g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 136||49%|
|Total Fat 15.43g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 1.35g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 28.31g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.6g||12%|