A Christmas favorite in Italian households. When I was growing up in my home there was always a bowl of these available to munch on with milk or, as I got older, with coffee. They are honey glazed pastry balls which are great for a festive snacking treat.
- Struffoli dough
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tspsugar
- 2 tsp vegetable oil,
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup honey
- 2 Tbs sugar
- (powdered sugar â opt.)
- Combine eggs,oil , vanilla, sugar, in mixing bowl, beat together. Add flour and baking powder a little at a time to liquid and mix until dough is stiff, non-sticky dough. (may need about Â¼ cup additional flour to make it stiff)
- Roll out on floured board (like a pizza) and then cut long Â½ inch wide strips and then cut the strips in Â½ inch squares.
- Heat oil in frying pan at medium heat until it is ready for frying then add the squares 20 or 30 at a time to the hot oil. Fry each batch until golden brown, then remove the golden puffs to paper towels to drain.
- In a separate pan heat about honey and sugar, stirring constantly so it does not burn.
- When warm, drizzle over the puffed balls and then toss to coat. Arranged them as you would like (Christmas Tree Shape??) and then add sprinkles and if you like powdered sugar.