Wow, this is such a wonderful dish and so easy to cook! The keys to this dish are the yellow lentils, fried potatoes, and cumin seed. You can change out the other vegetables (spinach is a nice addition as it adds to the creaminess of the dish). Make sure you fry the cumin seed and potatoes over sufficiently high heat that the cumin releases its flavor and the potatoes impart a crispy flavor and texture. This adds a unique, nutty, and delicious flavor to the dish. Our kids all loved this and I had two helpings. It's great, healthy comfort food that keeps you coming back for more!
- 1 cup (200g) yellow split peas, washed
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds (heaping)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 green chillies, cut lengthways, or 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 10 oz (275g) potatoes, cut into 1 in (1.5cm) pieces
- 3/4 cup (75g) peas, brussels sprouts, spinach, or other green vegetable
- 3/4 lb (350g) cauliflower, cut into large florets (optional...substitute more potatoes or other vegetables if you leave this out)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
- In a large pot, bring the split peas and water to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick saute or sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaves and green chilies and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, green vegetable and cauliflower and fry for 3-5 minutes until potato is browned (I put a lit on to avoid splattering).
- Add the potato mixture to the boiled split peas and water. Add the turmeric and salt. Mix thoroughly, lower the heat and cook until the vegetables are tender (about 10 more minutes). If the dal gets too thick for your liking, add a little more water.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with brown or white basmati rice (we served with a 50/50 mix of both).
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 363g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||20%|
|Total Fat 6.58g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.77g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 44.51g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 15.5g||52%|