Light, sweet and tart, this salad is a refreshing change from creamy coleslaws. This is a variation of Vinaigrette Coleslaw I - link below (see "Useful Links".) This salad is easily made diabetic-friendly by using a sweetening substitute such as Splenda, and reducing amount of oil.
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced (about 2-3)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar (more or less to taste to balance vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- In medium size salad bowl add cabbage, carrots and green onions.
- In small bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, mustard, caraways seeds (optional) salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour vinaigrette over cabbage mixture and toss lightly to coat. Chill 2 hours or overnight.
- Yield: 6 side dish servings.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 79g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 61||63%|
|Total Fat 6.91g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1.2g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.59g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|