If you're craving a chile relleno fix, give this light south-of-the-border layered soufflé a try. I looked at several recipes then came up with my own combination and it fits my need for a guilt-free alternative. To save time use canned whole green chiles, or char your fresh garden ones if desired. One batch makes 4 generous-size servings for a hearty breakfast, or figure 6 servings if used for a brunch with tortillas, fruit and beverage. Typical soufflés will fall slightly after baking, but are really sturdy and I bake extra on purpose for leftovers - which keep well a few days more and look and taste as good then as the day they were baked. I love to watch a plain egg turn into a spectacular golden sponge like this!
- 1 10-ounce canned green chile enchilada sauce medium heat, divided
- 1 7-ounce can whole green chiles, drained (or use 4 fresh Anaheim chiles, charred, peeled, and seeds, membranes and stems removed)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the bottom and especially the sides of an 11" x 7" x 1.5" oblong or 9" x 9" Pyrex baking dish (2 quart capacity).
- Pour 7 ounces (7/8 cup) of green enchilada sauce into bottom of prepared baking dish; pour remaining 3 ounces of sauce into a small micro-waveable serving pitcher (which will be heated and served with baked souffle.)
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form.
- In a smaller bowl whisk egg yolks with flour for 1 minute. Fold egg yolks into egg whites throughly.
- Spread 1/2 of egg mixture over green enchilada sauce in baking dish, speading evenly.
- Cut a slit lengthwise in each canned green chile, spread open, then arrange chiles over egg mixture in pan (if using fresh chiles be sure to remove seeds, membranes and stems)
- Arrange cheese slices over chiles, then top with remaining egg white mixture, spreading evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately with reserved heated enchilada sauce.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 110g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 122||64%|
|Total Fat 13.58g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6.95g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.46g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|