Beautifully browned loaf baked by the sun! (The white streaks are a photo glitch, not a mixing problem.)
Open the reflector sides and position toward sun to begin heating up. It may take 30-60 minutes depending on conditions.
This shows the start of baking. Oven temp at beginning was only 225 degrees. (Note: I only had 1 ripe banana on hand so I made 1/3 recipe...which is why the loaf is so tiny.)
After 45 minutes the oven temp now reads 300 degrees and loaf has risen to top and is beginning to brown around edges; however middle is not yet done.
About 1 1/2 hours, the loaf is nicely browned and tests done in middle. (Keep in mind this is a small loaf pan for 1/3 of the recipe. Large pans will require additional bake time.)
Too hot to bake nut breads? Get the solar cooker out and keep your cool! Just about anything you bake in the conventional oven has a complimentary solar-cooking method. This is my best banana bread recipe and when it’s cooler this fall I’ll post the same recipe baked conventionally. But here using only El Sol for the cooking energy, it turns out perfectly in a solar oven.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose, white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour work fine)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Â½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Â½ cups very ripe bananas mashed (about 3 large)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Position solar oven in sun and heat until moderate baking temperatures are reached (250 to 300 degrees F. or more). Depending on unit, sunshine and ambient temperature, this may take 30 or more minutes.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- In large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar, beating well. Add eggs and water, and continue to beat thoroughly.
- Stir in flour mixture, bananas and walnuts, mixing just until ingredients are moistened.
- Push batter into a large dark greased loaf pan.
- Bake in solar oven 1 Â½ to 2 Â½ hours or more until loaf is (1) golden brown (2) begins to pull away from sides, and (3) tests done in middle with cake tester or toothpick. (Time can only be approximate because of the number of variables.)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 53g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 54||33%|
|Total Fat 6.19g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.79g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.76g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|