Playing with a biscuit recipe one day I pondered…..what if I subbed butter for the shortening and added some kick-up seasonings? The result got great reviews from guests…. and hours later and at room temp, the “attitude” was delightfully more pronounced.....mm-m! Buttermilk makes them tender and light, while the butter…..oh the butter! A nice quick bread to serve with chili, stew, soup or chicken.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ additional for kneading)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Â¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Â½ cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl mix thoroughly together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, red pepper flakes, black pepper and paprika.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk until dough leaves the sides of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Pat or roll to Â½ inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides, or touching for soft sides.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet immediately and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 47g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 70||45%|
|Total Fat 8.01g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4.98g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.73g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|