In this amazing aromatic dish...the milder anis based Italian liquor SAMBUCA...will be highlighted as on of the key ingredients.
This slightly sweet, yet powerful liquor will serve to enhance the flavour of this otherwise classic French Toast dish.
- (American / Metric measures)
- >>Egg mixture<<
- 2 xLarge eggs
- 1/8 cup (30ml) Sambuca Ramazzotti * (or other anis-flavored liquor)
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) frozen orange concentrate (or double in fresh orange juice)
- 1 tsp.(5ml) vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 8 x (1in./ 25mm thick) slices of day old French 'Parisian' bread (a little bigger than a regular baguette)
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) unsalted butter
- >>Cold FRUIT MIX<<
- 2 cups (300gr) cut fresh strawberries
- 1 large banana sliced
- >>>Note: any fruit of your choice can be substituted with great results
- Maple syrup for pouring over the âFrench Toastâ
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- . Prepare ahead: a paper towel onto a wire mesh or rack...to later receive the pan fried bread.
- . In a large bowl...beat the eggs together with the orange concentrate, vanilla, salt and Sambuca.
- . Soak each bread slice generously with the liquid in order to allow each slice to absorb the liquid well. Then place them all back into the bowl and cover temporarily.
- . In a large skillet...on medium heat...add the oil and butter.
- . Add each slice slowly in order not to disturb the temperature too much. Always make sure the heat remains as steady as possible so that the bread doesn't soak up too much oil.
- . Pour the remaining liquid slowly over the bread so that it penetrates properly.
- . After a minute or so...check to see is the bread is golden brown underneath. If so, start turning each one over to finish the cooking process.
- . Take the bread out and place on the paper towel to reduce the oil left over on their surfaces.
- . Plate the 'French Toast'...with an optional cinnamon sprinkle and a generous drizzle of excellent maple syrup.
- . Serve with the fruit mix...which you would have prepared towards the end while the bread was resting.
- Bon appetit and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 124g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 339||79%|
|Total Fat 38.44g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 12.69g||51%|
|Trans Fat 0.53g|
|Total Carbs 21.51g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|