Khichdi is a mixture of dal and rice that is cooked together so that the flavors blend together. Various lentils can be used, such as split moong dal with or without skin, whole brown lentils (mosoor) or mooth lentils. It can be made with or without the addition of any number of vegetables. The proportion of rice to lentils also varies with individuals. Khichdi is often served with four accompaniments; papadams, yogurt, ghee, and pickles. This recipe is a meal in itself.
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 3/4 cup split moong dal with skin, picked over, or other lentils
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or ghee)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing) - optional
- 2 dried red chilies
- 4 cloves
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 large black cardamom
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, chopped broccoli florets, chopped spinach, or other vegetable
- Rinse rice and moong beans thrice with water and set aside.
- In a 2 or 3-quart saucepan, heat ghee or oil over medium heat. If you are adding broccoli, or another vegetable that tastes nice when slightly browned in the pan, add it now along with the potatoes and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds & when they begin to sizzle, add the asafetida, red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom.
- Saute for about 30 seconds to release the flavor of the spices.
- Add the rice and bean mixture, water, turmeric, salt, and frozen peas if using them.
- Stir to mix well, bring to a boil, and then turn the heat to simmer.
- Stir the mixture once again, cover and cook approximately for 20 minutes or until water has been absorbed.
- Remove whole spices before serving if desired. I don't bother. Serve with a curry, or by itself with papadams, plain yogurt and lime, mango or chili pickle.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 321g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 70||27%|
|Total Fat 7.96g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 0.68g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 42.28g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|