This is one of our family staples. It is healthy and delicious! Two of our kids say it is their favorite dish. We've adapted it from Marcella Hazan. It's easy to throw together and great the next day too.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach or 2 10oz pkgs frozen spinach (thawed)
- 4 tbsp butter (can substitute some olive oil for health)
- 4 oz boiled ham, chopped (less, more, or none to taste)
- Whole nutmeg (or powdered)
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta (we use lowfat)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 lb rotini, penne, maccheroncini, or rigatoni pasta (we use Barilla Plus -- tasty & healthy)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Squeeze the moisture out of the spinach and chop it fine
- Boil water and cook and drain pasta.
- Put half the butter in a saute pan and turn to medium high. When butter foams, add ham, turn 2-3 times, then add spinach and liberal pinches of salt--the spinach needs it for flavor. Turn to high and saute spinach, turning frequently, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in nutmeg, grated or powdered (no more than 1/8 tsp).
- Toss the pasta with the contents of the pan, plus the ricotta, the remaining butter, and the 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with salad, warm bread, and Parmesan and Pepper on the side.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 233g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 111||26%|
|Total Fat 12.65g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 6.9g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 61.66g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.8g||16%|