Make up your own dry bean and lentil variety or purchase ready-made. Aim for 8 or more legume types - navy, black, great northern, garbanzo, pinto, red, green split peas, lentils. Can be a good way to use up odds and ends of dried beans on hand. Fill pint or quart gift jars and decorate with ribbons and a tag with the recipe directions below. Great to have in the pantry especially in wintertime when homemade soups are so welcome. Tip: Make this a day ahead ~ DIVINE!
- INGREDIENTS TO MAKE 1 Â½ QUARTS OF SOUP
- 1 cup of the dried bean mix
- 1 quart water
- 6 ounces andouille sausage (or equivaent amount of diced ham, smoked sausage, etc.)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon paste (or 3 bouillon cubes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Rinse and sort beans. Place in large saucepan and add water to cover the top by 2-3 inches. Soak overnight, or use the quick method and bring to a boil covered, turn the heat off and soak for an hour or two. Drain.
- Add 1 quart water and crumbled andouille sausage to drained beans.
- Simmer covered for 1 Â½ to 2 hours.
- Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, bouillon, cumin, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour more or until beans are tender and onions cooked through, adjusting liquid as needed with additional water.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 275g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 81||72%|
|Total Fat 9.03g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.22g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.49g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|