This is a main dish salad comprised of ingredients I needed to use up in the refrigerator. It makes two huge main dish salads. It may be too much for some but could be split to make four smaller portions for a light meal. The combination of marinated mushrooms and banana pepper with the sweet dressing makes for an interesting contrast of flavors. I served the salad with herbed Foccacia that needed to be used.
For a wine I chose a white with a soft forefront and a slightly citrus finish to compliment the acid in the salad. Fenestra's Livermore Valley 2011 Semillon was a good pairing.
- 2 ea chicken breast, boneless and skinless (6-7 oz each)
- 1 ea red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 ea Portobello mushroom, stemmed, gilled and cut in half
- 1 ea avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into eight wedges, (store in lemon water until ready to use)
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 6 oz butter lettuce
- 10 ea marinated mushrooms (link is provided below)
- 1 1/2 oz pickled banana peppers, cut into thin rings
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella (Ovoline) cut into chunks
- 12 ea plulm tomatoes
- 1 cup Creamy Italian Dressing (link is provided below)
- Preheat grill to high heat. Cook chicken breasts, red bell pepper and mushroom until done. About 15 minutes over high heat. Set aside to rest a couple of minutes before slicing the chicken.
- While grilling the chicken and vegetables assemble the remaining ingredients in two large bowls.
- Slice the chicken, bell pepper, mushroom and arrange on top of each of the two salads.
- Serve with Creamy Italian Dressing at the table.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 679g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 620||67%|
|Total Fat 69.75g||87%|
|Saturated Fat 17.97g||72%|
|Trans Fat 0.17g|
|Total Carbs 30.99g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.2g||31%|