Poach chicken in rice vinegar, soy sauce, lemon pepper and water for about 10-12 mintues or until done.
This is an old recipe. There are countless variations of Chinese Chicken Salad recipes. Though slightly modified from the original we recevied this one is a classic. My wife got the recipe at a pot luck she attended at work over 35 years ago. We ate it frequently when our kids were small. They probably grew weary of eating it so much. It is relatively cheap and makes a week night meal for 4 people reasonably quickly. It is tasty! I'm sure many others are posted on CES but this is our version. As for wine; the sweetness of the dressing holds up to something a bit sweet. We opted for Jacuzzi 2009 Gilia's Vernaccia from Sonoma Valley.
- 18 oz iceburg lettuce; shredded or chopped (1 large head).
- 1 bunch, green onions, chopped
- 2 Tb sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup cashews
- 5 oz sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained ( 1 can)
- 2 oz rice sticks, fried and drained
- 16 oz boneless chicken breasts (2 large)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Cannola oil, for frying rice sticks
- 4 oz Mandarin Orange segments (optional)
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup cannola oil
- 3 Tb sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper, ground
- 3 Tb sesame oil
- Poach chicken in 2 Tb each rice wine, soy sauce and a sprinkling of lemon pepper. Add water to cover and poach for 10-12 minutes or until done. Remove from liquid; drain and cool. Shred or cut into chunks when cool.
- Combine dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Fry rice sticks in oil. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of skillet used. They cook almost instantly so be careful they don't burn. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Mix salad ingredients in large bowl. Top with rice sticks and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve dressing seperately at table.
- Salad is ready for service.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 264g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 320||50%|
|Total Fat 36.96g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 7.36g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0.11g|
|Total Carbs 53.01g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|