A delicious Mediterranean one pot wonder meal that combines a tomato base with orzo pasta, veggies, and lamb shank. The hard part is finding the largest possible large lamb shanks. Restaurants seem to have no problem getting 1.5lb+ shanks, but I'm lucky to find 0.80lb shanks at most grocery stores. If I have to make due with 0.8lb, I'll allow 2 shanks per full sized person. Adapted from a dish from Santorini Restaurant, San Carlos, CA
- 4 large lamb shanks (larger the better, if less than 1.0lb each, consider 2/pp)
- ==Spice Rub==
- 1t ground cumin
- 1t ground coriander
- 1T extra virgin olive oil
- 2t salt
- 1c red wine
- 12oz vegetable stock
- 2T tomato paste
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup orzo
- 1 carrot
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 small green zucchini
- 1 small red onion
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- Mix spice rub ingredients in a small bowl, then rub over lamb shanks. Use pre-ground spices to avoid burning big flakes of spice when browning the meat.
- In large roasting pot, bring e.v.o.o to medium-high heat and brown shanks on each side for 4 min.
- Add tomato paste, vegetable stock, and wine. Stir, then raise heat until you get a simmer, and remove from stove.
- Cover pot and cook at 350 for 3.5 hours, but add garlic after 2 hours.
- About 2.5 hours into the shank cooking, boil a small pot of water, then add orzo and reduce to a simmer
- Let orzo cook at a low simmer for about 30 minutes until al-dente
- Remove orzo to container of cold water until ready to use (so it doesn't dry out or stick together) ==Vegetables==
- Peel carrot and cut into thick coins
- Split, then quarter the onion (ie into 8 chunks)
- Chop yellow and green zucchinis into 1/8" wide inch coins, discarding an inch off each end.
- Put aside vegetables in a bowl until ready to use.
- Slice tomato into thin wedges and set aside in separate bowl
- Remove shanks from oven, and take them out of the pot and place them on a plate
- Poor out the top layer of fat from the pot, being careful not to pour out any of the good sauce that has settled on the bottom.
- Add Â½ cup water or vegetable stock, and stir up the bits at the bottom of the pot
- Put pot over medium-high heat, add vegetables, cover, and let cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly undercooked.
- Add orzo, and stir until it blends with the sauce
- Add shanks, sliced tomato, cover pot, and return to the oven to bake for 30 more minutes at 200
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 330g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 19||7%|
|Total Fat 2.18g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.32g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.63g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|