Very moist, two layer carrot cake with frosting, but no nuts. By the way: baked goods should not have nuts in them.
The main challenge is pulling from the oven at the right time. I usually need to rely on the toothpick test more than the timer but it usually comes out great.
Source: Saveur June/July 2002.
- 1T margarine
- 1 Â½ c + 2T flour
- 1c sugar
- 1 Â½ t baking soda
- 1t baking powder
- 1t ground cinnamon
- Â½ t ground cloves
- Â½ t fresh nutmeg
- Â½ t ground allspice
- 1/2t salt
- 2/3c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2lbs carrots; peeled, trimmed, very finely grated (about 4c or 6 large carrots). I use a food processor to start off the carrots, and then 10 minutes with a large chef knife to further chop the carrots
- 12oz soft cream cheese
- 7T unsalted butter, softened (note, 1 stick = 8T)
- 1t vanilla
- 3c powdered sugar
- Wipe bottoms and sides of two 8-inch-round cake pans with margarine.
- Dust cake pans with 1T flour each.
- Preheat oven to 350
- In large bowl add: remaining 1.5c flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Mix together
- Add slightly beaten eggs, vegetable oil. Stir until smooth
- Add finely grated carrots and stir.
- Divide batter between two cake pans and bake for 25 min, or just until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In mixer, mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla until smooth.
- Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting becomes light in consistency.
- After cake is cool enough to move, put one cake on serving plate, spread 1/3 of frosting on top, then layer second cake on top and spread remaining frosting around sides and top.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2037g|
|Calories from Fat 2749||45%|
|Total Fat 311.84g||390%|
|Saturated Fat 100.97g||404%|
|Trans Fat 4.45g|
|Total Carbs 781.13g||208%|
|Dietary Fiber 24.1g||80%|