Cost per serving $3.49 view details
- 1 med onion
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes, peeled if you like, and diced
- 2 x 14 1/2-oz cans diced tomatoes with their juice
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 x bay leaf (optional)
- Â Â Salt and freshly grnd pepper, to taste
- 2/3 c. long-grain rice, rinsed and liquid removed
- 1 slc challah or possibly white bread, day-old or possibly stale
- 1/2 lb grnd beef
- 1/4 c. minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp paprika (optional)
- 4 x or possibly 5 green bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, or possibly to taste
- 2 Tbsp. strained fresh lemon juice, or possibly to taste
- Slice half the onion and put it in a stew pan. Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 min. Boil rice in a saucepan with two c. boiling salted water for 10 min. Rinse with cool water and drain well. Soak bread in cool water and squeeze dry. Put in a bowl.
- Coarsely grate remaining onion half and add in to bowl. Add in beef, parsley, paprika, one-half tsp. salt and one-quarter to one-half tsp. pepper and mix well. Add in rice and mix again. Cut a slice off top (stem end) of each pepper. Reserve slice; remove stem, core and seeds from each pepper. Spoon stuffing into whole peppers and cover with reserved slices.
- Stand them up in tomato sauce. Cover and simmer, adding boiling water from time to time if sauce becomes too thick. Cook 45 min to one hour, or possibly till peppers are very tender. Gently remove peppers. Throw away bay leaf. If the sauce is too thin, cook it, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring often, till thickened. Add in sugar and simmer for one minute. Add in lemon juice. Adjust seasoning. Serve peppers warm, with sauce.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 539g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 98||26%|
|Total Fat 10.99g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 4.16g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 55.43g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.7g||22%|