Homemade stock adds so much flavor to foods that it's worth making and having it on hand. It freezes well, too.
Use the chicken to make chicken salad, pasta bakes, etc.
The cost per recipe calculation is way off. It costs about 3-4 dollars, and you can use the chicken for something else.
- 6 chicken pieces, or a whole chicken
- 2 stalks celery cut in chunks
- 2 peeled carrots, cut in chunks
- 1 small onion, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 tbs. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper (add after stock is reduced)
- optional: 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- Cover the chicken with water (1-2 quarts), add veggies and seasonings, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken, cool, remove meat from bones, add bones to the pot without the skin.
- Reduce stock until it tastes flavorful, discard bones.
- Refrigerate stock until fat coagulates at the top, skim and use it for gravy roux, or discard it.