Nothing says the tropics like coconut and pineapple and that is what is in this scrumptious recipe. Utilizing fresh pineapple, coconut milk and coconut rum, this recipe will easily transport you to a Caribbean Island, no matter where you live. This recipe is healthy and light and would also make a great appetizer served by itself. I served it with Grilled Corn with lime compound butter and grilled romaine and texas toast for a full “meal on the grill”. Cheers to transplanting yourself to the tropics, no matter where you live!
- Marinade ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (reserve 3 tablespoons for sauce)
- 1/4 c. pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- dash sea salt
- generous dash fresh ground black pepper
- Additional Ingredients
- 1- 1 1/2 lbs medium sized shrimp, de-veined with shells removed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut rum
- One fresh pineapple, chopped into cubes
- Mix marinade ingredients and let shrimp marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours before cooking. Next, bring butter to room temperature and mix with coconut milk, shredded coconut and rum and blend together well.
- If using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water 30 minutes before-hand so they do not burn when put on the grill. Put shrimp and pineapple on the skewers, alternating shrimp and pineapple pieces.
- Before turning the grill on, spray with cooking spray or wipe with olive oil so the shrimp do not stick to the grates. Set grill to medium hight heat, about 350 degrees. Grill shrimp about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until done. Brush skewers with butter mixture on both sides as they cook. Shrimp are done when they turn bright pink so be careful not to overcook!
- Great accompanied by a nice fruity white wine such as a crisp sauv blanc or pinot grigio.
- ** Original recipe idea came from Beth Brawn, creator of www.free-shrimp-recipes.com and has been modified with additional ingredients.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 271g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 304||65%|
|Total Fat 35.35g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 24.13g||97%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.42g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|