After final rising impressions are made ontop with finger, followed by a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkles of rosemary and (optional) coarse salt.
Hot, fresh and homemade Focaccia with olives and herbs - what could be better? A hearty and versatile bread to serve with salads, a side to Italian meals, a base for pizza or used as a sandwich bread. If a bread machine is handy, use it to mix, knead and proof the bread, then do finishing steps by hand and bake in the oven.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1/3 cup kalamata or ripe olives
- Coarse salt (optional)
- BREAD MACHINE:
- Place the following ingredients in bread machine pan in order manufacturer recommends: water, onion, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, flour, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt,1 teaspoon of the rosemary, and yeast.
- Select Dough/Manual cycle for regular or 1 Â½ pound loaf (do not use delay cycle.) Start cycle.
- Add olives at the raisin/nut signal or 5 to 10 minutes before the final kneading cycle ends.
- When dough/manual cycle is concluded remove dough from pan using lightly floured hands.
- Place on lightly floured surface, cover with clean towel and rest 10 minutes.
- Grease or spray cookie sheet or pizza pan. Place dough on prepared pan and pat into a 12-inch circle. Cover and let rise in warm place 30 minutes; preheat oven to 400 degrees the last 10 minutes of rising time.
- Make deep impressions in dough at 1-inch intervals with finger or handle of wooden spoon. Drizzle top with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle a teaspoon rosemary evenly over it. (Optional: sprinkle top with a little coarse salt).
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool slightly on wire rack,
- CONVENTIONAL METHOD:
- Place water, onion and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in large mixing bowl. In medium mixing bowl stir well together the flour, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon of the rosemary and yeast. Add flour mixture to liquid ingredients all at once and beat with dough hook of electric mixer or with wooden spoon til mixture forms into a ball.
- Scrape dough onto a lightly floured bread board and knead 5-7 minutes adding only enough additional flour to keep from sticking. Cover with a clean towel and rest 10 minutes.
- Continue as in Step #7 above.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 63g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 79||38%|
|Total Fat 8.88g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.24g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.57g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|