A simple topping is a light brush of olive oil after baking, some fresh grated black pepper and garlic salt.
A basic focaccia recipe easy to make. Serve with any number of entrees, salads, soups, use as sandwich bread or as a base for a variety of focaccia toppings. Recipe will serve 8 conservatively but who stops at one conservative serving of homemade focaccia? Better double the recipe and be sure you'll have enough! The dough setting of a bread machine makes quick work of this bread, but it’s not necessary. The batch in my photos was mixed up by hand.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 package active dry yeast (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, plus additional olive oil for drizzling and serving
- 1 cup warm water
- Toppings as desired (black pepper, garlic salt, herbs, etc.)
- In a large bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, yeast and salt; stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and the warm water. Beat with electric mixer about 2 minutes or a wooden spoon about 3 minutes until well combined.
- With wooden spoon, add in 1 cup more of the flour and stir to form a ball of dough; turn out on lightly floured bread board and knead several minutes until a smooth ball of dough forms, adding just enough of the remaining 1/2 cup flour to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat top; cover with clean towel and allow to rise in warm place for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch dough down, and work it to remove excess air bubbles. Cover and rest it 10 minutes.
- Generously oil a 9" x 12" bakerâs quarter sheet pan, or 10" or 12" pizza pan.
- Place dough in pan, pressing and stretching dough evenly with oiled fingers to fill pan. Dimple dough with fingers or use a fork and pierce at 1-inch intervals. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until double. Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 70g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 11||7%|
|Total Fat 1.25g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.18g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 29.98g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|