Cost per serving $0.78 view details
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 c. sherry wine vinegar
- Â Â (or possibly red wine vinegar)
- 2 c. fresh orange juice
- 1/4 c. chopped shallots
- 1Â 1/2 c. diluted duck demiglace
- Â Â (a 6 1/2-ounce container stirred together with 3 tbspns water)
- Â Â Orange flavored liqueur to taste
- Â Â Lemon juice to taste
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 lrg oranges
- 3 x boneless Muscovy or possibly
- Â Â Magret duck breast halves - (1 lb ea) thawed if frzn
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. julienned orange zest
- Stir sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat till sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil till syrup turns deep amber, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan.
- Remove from heat. Add in vinegar (mix will bubble vigorously), orange juice, and shallots. Bring mix to a boil, stirring, and simmer till reduced to 3/4 c..
- Add in demiglace. Reduce to 1 c.. Strain through fine sieve. Correct seasoning by adding orange liqueur, lemon juice, salt, and freshly grnd black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Using small knife, cut off peel and white pith from 2 oranges. Working over bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. (Sauce and oranges can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Using sharp knife, score duck skin (don't pierce meat) in crosshatch pattern. Sprinkle duck with salt and pepper and pat dry. Heat large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat till warm. Place duck breasts skin down in skillet and cook till brown and crisp, about 8 min. Turn duck and cook 2 min more. Roast in oven for 7 min if using Muscovy duck breast or possibly 10 min if using Magret duck breasts.
- Transfer to cutting board and let stand 10 min. Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer, whisk in butter 1 Tbsp. at a time and then the 1 Tbsp. grated orange peel; whisk just till butter melts. Drain orange segments and mix into sauce. Set aside.
- Slice duck breasts crosswise on diagonal. Arrange on 6 plates. Spoon orange segments with sauce alongside. Sprinkle with remaining peel.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Wine Suggestions: Red Burgundy; Savigny-Les-Beaune Premier Cru by Maurice Ecard Louis Jadot
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 166g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 69||42%|
|Total Fat 7.91g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4.89g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.34g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|