Kachori is a popular Indian snack that is eaten with tea or coffee. It is also served as a breakfast dish in the middle and western parts of India. It is a flaky Indian fry bread with delicious fillings. Pyaz (onion) filled Indian fry bread is especially popular in the Rajasthan and Gujarat regions. You can prepare this Indian fry bread recipe at home in less than an hour’s time.
- Items needed for the dough:
- 2 cups of refined flour
- Â¼ cup of ghee (clarified butter)
- Â½ teaspoon of salt (adjust according to taste)
- To prepare the dough:
- Mix the refined flour, ghee and salt in a bowl to get a crumbly mix.
- Add some water and knead it to a soft dough. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Items needed for the filling:
- 2 cups of finely chopped onions
- 1 Â½ teaspoons of chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon of nigella seeds
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of coriander masala
- 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 2 teaspoons of gram flour
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- To prepare the filling:
- - In a saucepan, take the oil and sautÃ© the nigella seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaves and the onions for 2-3 minutes until the onions turn translucent and light brown in color.
- - Add the gram flour, garam masala, coriander masala, red chili powder and chopped green chilies to the pan and sautÃ© for 3 more minutes until the spices are well roasted and have coated the onions.
- - Remove from the heat and let the mix cool before adding the coriander leaves and salt.
- - Divide the mix in 12 equal portions.
- To prepare the bread:
- - Heat oil in a frying pan.
- - Divide the dough in 12 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 2-inch diameter flat bread.
- - Put one portion of prepared filling in the center of the rolled out dough and cover from all sides to make a ball. Make sure that it is sealed on all sides.
- - Lightly roll out the filled dough to a 3-inch diameter circle.
- - Do this for the rest of the 11 portions.
- - Fry the prepared bread in the hot oil over medium flame until golden brown on both sides.
- - Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.
- - Serve with tomato sauce and spicy tamarind chutney and enjoy with hot tea and coffee.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 340g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 121||78%|
|Total Fat 13.51g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6.82g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 9.04g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|