Meatloaf is the quintessential American meal. It’s nostalgic, hearty and just plain delicious. Most families have their special way to prepare it. I’m using a few flavorful and healthy twists. The first is to use barbecue sauce instead of the usual ketchup. It’s such a small change but adding the barbecue sauce makes it taste extraordinary. Next, you’ll save a tremendous amount of calories and fat by free forming the meatloaf. If you prepare it the way your Grandma did, in a loaf pan, the fat soaks into the loaf. With this new way, all the excess fat is left on the pan not in the loaf and then in your stomach. In addition, using lean ground turkey for ground beef cuts the fat. Just by making meatloaf this way, you save over 250 calories and more astounding 38 grams of fat per serving. The skinny for a generous 3 slice serving is 244 calories, 3.3g fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
- 1 package ground turkey (about 1Â¼ pounds)
- Â½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Â½ cup + Â½ cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays, Bullâs-eye or use your favorite)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 egg whites
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Line a baking pan or cookie sheet with foil.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread crumbs, onions, Â½ cup barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, egg whites, salt and pepper and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- 4. Place meatloaf mixture in the center of the baking pan and shape into a 12 x 4 inch loaf by hand.
- 5. Spread the remaining Â½ cup barbecue sauce evenly over the top of the loaf. Add more if desired.
- 6. Bake 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Weight Watchers (old points) 5
- Weight Watchers POINTS POINTS 6 (if you want to cut the points down to 4, serve 2 slices instead of 3. Itâs still very satisfying)
- SKINNY FACTS: Serving size, 3 slices
- 244 calories, 3.3g fat, 35g protein, 18g carbs, 1g fiber, 754 mg sodium, 29mg calcium, 4g sugar
- For more skinny recipes, please join me on http://skinnykitchen.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 180g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 30||12%|
|Total Fat 3.38g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.82g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 48.72g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|